Zoom: The Basics
Zoom. Have you heard about it? Chances are you have used it, know someone who has used it or at the very least you have heard about it. How do I know? Well, it’s estimated that the company has added 2.22 million monthly active users so far this year, while it added 1.99 million users in all of 2019. That’s a lot of growth in a short amount of time. And it makes sense given the circumstances of COVID-19.
The Basics Behind Zoom
Zoom is one of the many communications technologies out in the world today. People are using Zoom to video chat for school, work, or just to keep in touch with friends and family when they can’t be together ‘face-to-face.’ Many businesses are using the tool to host meetings with remote or international colleagues and clients. And let’s be honest, that is coming in handy these days as we’re still in the middle of a global pandemic and much of the world is still isolating.
The Most Common Uses
A Zoom Meeting is probably the most common thing people use the tool for. If you are participating in a Zoom Meeting you are basically participating in a video conference. But, you don’t even need to have a Zoom account to attend a Zoom Meeting. You can simply join a Zoom Meeting using your computer’s webcam or by putting the app on your phone. You’ll want to make sure you can use the camera and audio. Otherwise, you will just be attending the meeting with a gray slate. No one will be able to hear you or see you.
Now that you kind of have the basics down, here are some tips:
- Keep your camera at eye level- use books if necessary.
- Illuminate your face with natural light. Try sitting in front of a window, not with the window behind you.
- Don’t forget about your background. Everyone in the meeting can see what is going on behind you. Less is more!
- Try out the video settings such as “touch up my appearance” to smooth edges and blend colors to help show a clear picture.
- Hold down the space bar during a meeting for a quick way to temporarily unmute your microphone
Have you tried out Zoom or any other video conferencing tools? Let us know!
If you know someone looking for a great place to live tell them about us at Legacy Court Apartments in Midvale!